October 01, 2004

Lurk Link

I've been quite the Lurker. Daily I read the blogs of my cousin and his friends and their fellow Blogistas, and I've been commenting for a few months now. It's like, now I get to drain everything I've packed into my grey matter for 2 decades. The Blogglers are all young. I'm old. They're smart. I used to be. Ok yes, it's all relative. They're early-mid-twenties and I'm 41 to be more precise.

Typing across this enormous chasm of experience is exactly like talking to the 23 year old me. Only, the 23 year old me would have only just switched from a rotary phone to a touch-tone, and wouldn't yet see a music CD or even a pager for a few more years. The 23 year old me would still have the very first model of the Apple MacIntosh computer sitting in his living room in all of it's 4K, 6-1/2" screen glory. Or whatever the hell size it was.

But back to my lurking. I've been reading and commenting a lot on the sensationally well-written blog of one Luke Baumgarten (did I get that right? Call him Luke). I was led to Luke's Blog by the sensationally well-written blog of one Mike Sheffler, a cousin of mine with whom I've only made a fairly recent aquaintance.

I liken all this blogmenting to having chats across space-time with a younger me. Really, despite the Jetsons vs. Flintstones air to it all, the issues are oddly the same. I don't know if this is good or bad. Has nothing changed in 20 years but our freaking phones?

Luke and Mike are in tip-top analysing shape. They are very busy rooting out the meaning of life and the mechanisms responsible for our existence, all while admitting they can't find their way around the city or get a single decent haircut inside of a decade. They have their teeth sunk firmly into the cultural cacaphony and the political miasma that is early 21st Century America. Which I like.

It's only appropriate then that my first real post here on my very own blog is merely a link to my most recent comment on Luke's Blog.
I may re-work it and drag it back here and make a whole post of it here later.

Just make sure to find your way back.
thanks.

9 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahah. Luke was a long-time hold-out on blogging too. Eventually, though, you get to a point reading other people's stuff where you finally decide, "I can do better than this" and another Blogista is born. Vive la revolucion!Anyway, if you have any web development-type or promotion questions, don't be afraid to ask.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Luke said...

You do me entirely too much justice sir!

Anyway, it'll be nice to have a new blog to troll, one who's pedigree I know right off, without having to read for a week to decide if the blogger is some kind of genius or just a particular breed of idiot.

I look forward to the 40something Don, though the issues will probably be the same.

In reference to what you said about that, I think for 20-somethings the personal issues and battles will forever be the same: Angst, origins, existential reality and music, in no particular order.

Anyway, blog early and often, neither your cousin nor any of my other friends update nearly enough.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have shit to do! School takes up anywhere between sixty and one hundred hours of my time each week. After that, I have to spend time with my girlfriend. After that I try to work on the blog. I'm doing my best.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Right, understood Mike. here's what you do, drop out of school and move home, leaving your girlfriend somewhere around 1000 miles away. Talk to her irregularly.

Now, unemployed, undereducated and isolated from humanity, you are almost like me, who can post thrice daily with ease. I don't usually, because, being unemployed and undereducated, I'm also very very lazy.

Sometimes stereotypes are true.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Quit School. Then you can spend more time with your girlfriend AND work on your blog. What else do you need, FOOD?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Luke, you're thinking along the same lines, except that I expected Mike to just plant a garden and live off the land while his girlfriend brings home the bacon. Assuming they like bacon.

But now that you mention it, Luke, you could start a blogging commune up there and invite everyone up to support the cause. Whatever that may be.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A commune, eh? Perhaps you're on to something. For as much money as the school is paying me, not working any more couldn't affect my bottom line too much. Also, it is less likely that I can get a job after I leave this place as before I came, so maybe leaving school wouldn't be that big a deal either. Still, I think I'll tough it out for a while yet.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha...this is great. I was looking through my stats and noticed that somebody had searched "mike sheffler" and got my page So I did a search and found out that his page was first, but yours was second, and mine was third. I thought maybe this was indeed the same Don who comments on Cone but just to make sure i clicked through.

I always meant to ask, when you said "Go Cougs" what cougs are you referring too...mine will always be the Wazzu Cougs! (but knowing how many others there are, i thought i should ask)

-Jamie

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Well, while making that comment I assumed it was the WSU Cougars :-) BUT now that you mention it, I could very well have been cheering on the Elk Combo Grade School - Middle School Intramural Flag Football Team! Or something.

Mike being essentially a Washington product, one of the optional responses to Mike's poll about the election was "Go Cougs!". I dug that.
Go Cougs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home