July 09, 2006

Random Day Random Eleven


New thing - Now you can hear part of my little world. Per Omni's comment on one of these posts - hey, this one! - I've begun including links so you can listen to some of the tracks.

It's FREE - You may have to register the first time there but from then on it should just open a separate window and play when you click on a track here.

Disclosure - I am not getting a commission. Just enjoy, knowing that you are not contributing to me or to the economy with your musical reverie.

I'll go back bit by bit and link up tracks in previous posts.

Now That I Know - DEVENDRA BANHART
Brian Wilson - BARENAKED LADIES
Chasing Forever - SEXSMITH & KERR
Tiny Echoes - LYLAS
Mayor of Simpleton - XTC
Saint Simon - THE SHINS
I Didn't Understand - ELLIOTT SMITH
Growing Upside Down - THE DITTY BOPS
Crooked Teeth - DEATHCAB FOR CUTIE
Unsolved Child Murder - LUKE HAINES
Never Far Away - JACK WHITE

4 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger Omni said...

I wish you had links to files for some of these;
I'd be interested to hear what you're listening to.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Hey. That's a good point. I'll go back and link to samples and full files. In fact I'll put up a post about where all this music is coming from anyway. Thanks Omni. Keeping cool this weekend?

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Luke said...

There's a just released XTC box set.

Have you heard Field Music? http://www.field-music.co.uk/

they're swell
http://www.memphis-industries.com/youcandecide.mp3
That one especially.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Luke? LL-EEWWWW- CK ...? Do I know you?

:-)

I'm listening to your link right now!

It is pretty swell, actually. Thanks for the advice, and good to hear from you my friend.

Re: XTC, I wish they would spit original product out a little more regularly, but I guess there are a lot of people wishing a lot of things when it comes to XTC.

I'm sure I've never related the story here, but I am one of the priveleged few to have been at the very last live gig XTC ever did. It was here in San Diego at the California Theatre downtown, I think early 1982, and I was in a front row mezzanine seat, and the show was fabulous. It was the first show of a North American tour, after the aborted European tour where he broke down before a Paris show.

Except for the ridiculously long intermission, you would never know that Andy was tripping out to the extent that he would refuse to ever go onstage again, starting the next night when he left a Hollywood Bowl crowd hanging and flew straight home.

It's been 24 years and I sure am glad I decided to head downtown for the show that night...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home