March 14, 2005

In Explanation ...

A number of weeks ago I started covetting the sidebar mini-blog over at Luke's domain, so I quite naturally decided to steal the form.

Well,now. I thought that explaining things would be more complicated than that but there you have it.

Actually, this whole covetting process began months ago - not weeks - but I didn't have anywhere near the time or the technical knowhow to deal with it. I hardly even knew how to insert an image into my blog.

Not that I have the time now either.

Or the technical know-how.

OK. "Explaining" has turned a funny shade of dark. I'll cut to the chase: I emailed cousin Mike Sheffler, he of the Cone of Ignorance.

I was quite confident that he would at least point me to a hacker's sidestreet where I'd learn the tricks to suck a feed into my sidebar. Along, perhaps, with various methods of ciphoning gas, getting into movies for free, tinting windows, growing poppies, building my own TV remote. And I was right.

So, thanks Luke, for the cool idea. Now I can dump all my little un-witticisms into a conveniently placed box which everyone can ignore. And no, I don't mean to imply that such is the use for your own sidebar feed. I only self-deprecate here.

Thanks Mike, for the technical whizbangery and the offer to walk me through it if I suddenly began bleeding from the ears. Actually, hacking my own site to death was kind of fun.

Now, if I could only produce ... content.
Huh.

3 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I could be of service, though, to be fair, the real credit goes to Luke for forcing me -- at gunpoint, if my semi-repressed memory of the incident is any indication -- to figure it out for him.

Also, sorry about the lack of commenting. I, in particular, am terrible about commenting on stuff, as is evidenced by my scant apparent presence on his blog even though I read it religiously.

You could be like Luke and me and put a SiteMeter on these pages. That way, you can tie your sense of self-worth to page hits instead of comments -- a much more statistics-rich form of self-abuse.

--Mike Sheffler
... turning to the 3-D map, we see an unmistakable cone of ignorance

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Omni said...

Good job getting your sidebar working!! I've had probs with mine, too, so I think it must be Blogger's fault. ;-)

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

Yeah... Blogger's fault!

I'm gonna blame all my content on Blogger too.

"What could they have been thinking when I wrote THAT?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home