May 17, 2005

Ginormous vs. Egantic

As soon as I heard that "ginormous" was first in the Merriam-Webster Top Ten Favorite Words NOT in the Dictionary, I thought of it's Siamenym: "Egantic".


(And yes, I, Don Sheffler, made up Siamenym. If you use the word anywhere you have to mention how awesome I was to come up with it, and of course you need to let M-W and OED know its source. The opening sentence in this post would be the word's first known usage - blog or otherwise. As far as I know. OK?)

Anyway Ginormous seems vaguely feminine. Big, to be sure, and feminine.

Egantic just seems powerfully manlike and huge. Ahh, nah, it doesn't. Who am I kidding? I was just trying to find a way to get Siamenym into the game.

I'm all flusterpated now.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so ginormous is effeminate, well here are some gems from a manly man, a good ol' boy, who reinvents English when drunk. These have become standard slang in our get togethers over the ages:

Gihugic (adj):synominous with ginormous, except perhaps even bigger -- gigantic + huge.

Skippermanship (adverb): the ability to pilot water craft while drunk. Coined after said dear friend managed to scuttle his canoe while still morred to the dock. It's the driver's equivilent of the diplomat's brinksmanship.

Manureability (adverb): the ability to avoid nearly getting into deep do do. Appropriate use involves topics concerning DWI, screwing up at work, and feline ire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home