December 28, 2008

Just A Second - or - So That's The Purpose Of The Earth's Rotation And International Time Keeping Whatsa-Whoosit Commission


Secret functionaries of the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service are going to insert an additional second into the space-time continuum, in between 11:59:59 p.m. and 12 midnight on New Year's Eve. Oddly, this is about when every person on the planet will be paying attention to the clock.

Very very crafty.

Intercepted communications indicate that this additional second has been smuggled into this dimension for the purpose of adding to the already massive block of time currently amassed over the eons. The intent, as deduced by counter-intel analysts, is to keep the earth on track with reality, a goal which the most recent United States Presidential Election had already purportedly achieved.

Science marches on. And so does time, even with the additional weight.

See for yourself.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would explain why attendance was weak at the Time Traveler Convention in 2005. There's probably a schload of time travelers stuck a second out of phase with our time. Bummer.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Don Sheffler said...

I don't know why my own freaking response to your comment completely disappeared - this is my own damn blog after all - however:

I remember, back then, making note of the time travel convention a few days before it happened. And no, I didn't travel back to do so just to be able to claim that I did.

In my insightful and hilarious original comment here I also noted something I had not originally seen at the Convention web site: "NO ATTENDEES WILL BE ADMITTED WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY RSVP'D."

Uh, RSVP? From the... future?

I am envisioning the keystone coppian result this requirement might produce. If a time-traveller from the future can't get into the packed event because he didn't RSVP, they he will go back another few weeks and secure entry. But another time traveller does the same thing, and of course travels farther back in order to make sure to get in before the limit is reached. And another does the same thing, forcing the first ("last") arrivals to go back, leapfrogging each other into the deep dark past, never to be seen again.

Maybe it's just me but I am amused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home